Monday, January 5, 2015
Site-Based November 13, 2014
Attendees: Mrs. Whiton, Mrs. Ronning, Mrs. Breismeister, Mrs. DeCoste, Mrs. Broadley, Mrs. LeClair, Mrs. Reagan, Mrs. Bellows, Mr. Jacobs, Mr. Street (guest—selectman)
1. Approval of Minutes---approved
2. Community Forum: November 19th
a. Interact will do childcare/gym will be available
b. PTG cupcakes
c. Notices in Newspapers
d. Charlestown Site-Based Coming
e. Dr. Pook---will bring his presentation—thanks to Lori Landry and finding funds
f. Sam will do introductions and explain site-based roles
g. Please encourage people to come
3. Goals—see top of the agenda sheet (we reviewed the goals as written)
On #2 change realistic to relevant
Approval of #1 and #2
4. Walpole Seniors—Sarah Manning represented us at the Walpole Seniors meeting. The seniors may need a ride to our meetings. We could offer it. What do we have for seniors to participate in at the school?
Suggestions: maybe a list of what seniors could do, it could be generated and then the seniors could fill those roles. It is good that we are opening up the school up to the community. There may be a need for them to go through a background check.
5. Budget: Sam reviewed budget information
Salaries drive the budget, staffing/personnel
$38,967 for supplies—decrease of $1,734; all listed on the attached sheet
Second Grade Teacher
No increase to Pre-K/teaching time
Nurse Needs—3 hours a day/NWS
Behavioral Rehab. Assistant
3 paras cut-1 Skills, 1 WES, 1 NWS
Budget up 3.5%
0.89 cents on $100,000 home
Sam believes that the finance committee will be asking for more cuts. Our revenue has decreased $305,000. We are losing from tuition and from last year’s lower budget last year.
Meeting Adjourned at 8:30 p.m.
Next Meeting December 10
October 2, 2014
Attending: Mrs. DeCoste, Mrs. Spaulding, Mr. Jacobs, Mrs. Breismeister,
*Mary Aumand at Open House, Mrs. Broadley, Mrs. LeClair, Mrs. Bellows, Mrs.MacIntire, Mrs. Manning and Mrs. Ronning
Visitor: Lori Landry, Superintendent
Welcome new members—Mrs. Spaulding, Mrs. Breismeister
1. Community Forum---Sam explained the purpose of the forum time to our new members, Sam shared Science NECAP scores comments, they were excellent, STEM education, new science program in grades 6/7/8
2. Approval of the Minutes: approved
3. Old Business
—Lori Landry, welcomed, and shared that the Pre-K programs were recognized by the State of NH in the district. These programs have recently been set up in each attendance area.
a. CCSS Forum --- (Mrs. Landry) There is very little information about the test. It appears SMARTER BALANCE test will be given in reading and writing. NECAP Science will continue. We are fortunate that we have the hardware and bandwidth to support the testing. That is not true everywhere in the state. Our consultant, Joe Miller, has really helped us to implement Common Core in our district. Dr. David Pook will be coming again to work with our district teachers on October 13, 2014.
b. WSB is willing to organize for a forum to help parents understand Common Core better. We would like to see something for families to get knowledge about the CCSS requirements. Dr. Pook has offered to do a forum. End of October, beginning of November.
c. Forum may be hosted here and invited other attendance areas. Possible November 19th. Jackie----Interact Club maybe to babysit, Sara will email the Interact Club supervisor and get back to Jackie about babysitting through the club.
d. Membership—Wendy Whiton and Sara Beauregard will share the support staff position. We really need community people (not school-related folks/retirees/business people) as members.
e.. Adult Classes---Lori met with the technology committee, next Thursday, October 9th, there will decisions made about this and some nice things will be offered.
4. New Business
a. Grade 2—class size---Sam would like to look for a new teacher for another second grade due to enrollment and a large class, we need to address the needs of this class.
b. Goal Development--- Site Base needs 2 goals to work on this year---we need to be thinking about this. Possible Ideas:
*Common Core Communication,
*Make education realistic by bringing in community members to model what kids will be doing in the “real world”.
*Visit groups: Senior Lunch, Women of Walpole, maybe some presentations to these groups
c. Budget Ideas----Teachers have given requests, Mr. Jacobs has looked into staffing for next year and will meet with Mrs. Landry, Superintendent, and then eventually this will go the school board.
Needs: Pre-K teacher (full time) Pre-K aide (one to one), nurse time, increasing staffing, possible reducing paras, etc.
Next Meeting: November 12, 2014,
Walpole Site Base Meeting - September 3, 2014
Attendees: Sarah Manning, Sam Jacobs, Lil DeCoste, Lorraine Brooks, Christine Broadley, Gayle Bellows
Community Forum – No discussion
Approval of Minutes - Sam is to send May minutes to all members.
Membership - Sarah Manning was voted in as chairperson. She will also have the parent 2 year position. Searching for community members. Please give Sam nominations. Send request to papers and Lil DeCoste
CCSS Forum and Adult Classes. – The site base voted to send a letter to the superintendent to discuss progress on a CC forum and the offering of adult classes (Jacobs, DeCoste, Manning)
- The forum should be from a child’s perspective so that parents can clearly understand what their kids will experience.
- Keep dates away from district budget hearings.
- Why are some districts allowed to opt out of testing? (The state is allowing this if districts have an approved assessment with the state.)
School opening – all very smooth
Enrollment numbers reviewed – North Walpole School saw a significant increase of new students.
Staffing – 2 new teachers, Allegra Pickering Kndergarten and Brandie
Sweetland 5-8 Special Ed.
Goal Development – we will work on this at our next meeting
One idea – Food Service
Parent / Community Presentation
“Worried About Your Worrier”
Sept. 24 6:00-8:00pm
Need to promote this presentation
Door prizes, mailing, school messenger, child care, meet at central spot drive over together - life touch prize
No soccer that night - Sam to contact town
Provide a better explanation of purpose to parents.
Thursday, June 12, 2014
Site Base April 2, 2014
Attending: J. Ronning, L. Brooks, J. Palmiotto, S. Fuller, S. Cahill, N. LeClair, S. Jacobs, M. MacIntire, J. Fabis, G. Bellows, S. Manning, G. Elsesser, S. Fuller
Meeting began: 7:06 p.m.
1. Community Forum: None
2. Minutes—January 8, 2014---Approved
3. Evening Classes:
* FM Technology Department has sent home a survey for evening classes. Technicians were interested in helping the community members, hoping to get a good turn out for these workshops. Sam will resend the survey. We hope to host these evening classes in our local attendance areas.
4. Adult/Parent Library----Mr. Stan donated many items. We will keep promoting it in the newsletter. It can go home with the children to parents. Mrs. Bellows reported the current list is the most recent newsletter.
5. SAU/Walpole School Website---remind parents to go to this site. We discussed how to get updates sent to parents via email/push notifications. This will be checked on.
6. Common Core Forum: Principals would like to host something in the Fall, 2014, to explain and direct the curriculum changes for parents/community members.
7. Community Activities--- At our last meeting we discussed bringing the community into the school to lead programs. We have a tremendous amount of activities going on right now, but will investigate this further for next year.
8. Results of NECAP and MAP Testing—results came out at the end of January, and we are looking at the comparison of the cohorts of kids. Sam presented data.
*Scores should be in the 80th and 90th percent
*Writing: We have used staff time to review writing/discuss ways to improve. We need to improve in this area.
*COHORTS DATA----some cohorts dropped, and some went up, how do we encourage the students to improve? We are constantly working on this. It was noted that a leave of absence by a teacher could be an issue in the 8th grade testing. It shows the impact educators have on student performance.
9. BUDGET RESULTS---there are not a lot of items in the budget for Walpole, we have a pre-K program for 2014-2015, and are planning ahead for next year. It is a ½ day preschool program. We had a reasonable tax increase in the community. The FMRSD budget passed.
10. ENERGY AUDIT— completed, there will be an attempt to cut costs by using two or more heating methods (propane, wood chips, oil) This pays for itself overtime.
11. WHAT ARE WE WORKING ON---
1. Writing— vision to improve the writing scores, Collins, Six Traits, Committee Set Up to explore new methods
2. Handwriting, Cursive, etc.---discussion will occur on the value of
cursive teaching, and printing and keyboarding. Sam will lead a discussion with the faculty about our approach.
3. Teacher Evaluation Model----State of NH is aligning the model of the teacher evaluation forms and tying in some important components to the program which relate to Common Core—using Danielson Model, Teacher needs to be aware of how to become
distinguished…evaluation is for growth, not for disciplinary action. Eventually testing data will be part of the eval.
4. Star Math/Accelerated Math—NW has researched this, we are moving to the programs for these children, testing/progress monitoring might replace AIMSWEB because it does the scoring for you. Star Reader, does this too, everything is broken down, etc. Accelerated Math: This program will generate a particular lesson tailored to the student’s needs.
5. Pre-K-Kindergarten Handbook----The enrollment maximum will be
15 children. We will mail families a packet. The enrollment will
occur on a first come/first serve basis. A handbook for both Pre-K
and Kindergarten will be generated.
6. Emergency Protocols---we are meeting with local agencies, we want to make sure that we get information, and then disseminate it appropriately. We are asking that people call if they hear about an emergency so that we can prepare and react accordingly.
7. Smarter Balanced Test (Common Core Test)— a learning experience for all, NW was not chosen to pilot, but all teachers had a chance to experience it. We were able to administer/observe. We will give feedback to the state and company
8. Depth of Knowledge ----We will present more about this at the next meeting. It is about the depth of the curriculum as opposed to breadth.
9. After School Clubs---Thunder Chickens, Game Clubs, etc.
a. Running Club M/Th—5k race, 43 kids running, they will do a 5K race, everyone has stayed in it…..The students have enjoyed it, and will get prizes for each of the 4 laps they run.
b. Lego, cooking, and crafts
10. Academic Fair---big night/big success—some community members came
11. Wellness is going on throughout the year……NW went sliding, WPS dancing, and 6-8 went swimming, and 5th graders will go swimming soon.
12. Nurse at NWS—thank you. A substitute nurse was hired because our nursing needs were above capacity.
Meeting adjourned 8:40 p.m. Next meeting: May 7th, 2014
Wednesday, March 12, 2014
January 8, 2014
Attending: J. Ronning, L. Brooks, S. Jacobs, C. Broadley, L. DeCoste, J. Fabis, J. Palmiotto, M. McIntire, G. Elsesser, S. Manning, M. Aumand, G. Bellows, N. LeClair.
1. How is the superintendent search is going? There is no superintendent search at this time.
2. Lil DeCoste explained superintendent search entails hiring someone to do the advertising; they are going to decide what are they going to do at this time at their Monday meeting.
3. No budget changes. Board approved.
4. There will be a hearing at the high school.
5. Pellet Furnace-Silo for Walpole School may be something for the future. An organization came to the Board and explained the study that was done on our buildings. Company guarantees the savings. We would use both pellets and oil burning furnace
Approval of Minutes: Approved
Common Core Forum: Principals meet with consultant on Jan. 10. Let’s talk about a Parent Presentation at our next meeting. We would host this during TV Turn-Off Week.
Things that people might want to know about Common Core (what would they like)
1. Community members/business what they need from the graduates
2. Examples of Common Core
3. Identify need and reason for change
4. Practical Applications
5. Teachers—What changes they find themselves implementing?
*lots of ways to do things
*more discussion/inferential thinking
*more critical thinking, more mindful and more aware of reading/language
Think About the Following
What does the evening look like?
How is the assessment different?
Persistence as part of our children’s experience in Common Core?
First Week in April for Forum, invite preschools
Adult Classes: Sam contacted the Tech Director/Lynne Philips about holding adult ed. classes----Cyber Safety, Cyber Bullying. Other Ideas: nutrition, exercise, How to help kids or parents with Divorce. Parents/Sharing Your Child at School, Child Independence-Raising a Resilient Child, Resume Writing, Interview Skills, Survey Local Businesses to find out what they would want their employees to know…..
Discussion about possible fees
How to give Community an idea of what is going on in their town. Walpole Leadership Academy,
Invite community members to show how their job relates to math (to kids)
Community Members---people offering after school clubs
Interact/Community Service Club
Parent Resource Library
How to get resources for parents……Sam has items in his office. Gathering….List for parents of items…Common Core material, parenting resources. Videos child development….librarian…..local groups and availability of groups for families…
Resourcing the old computers to families that don’t have them…speakers and their books, etc. Local Directory….Youth Listings, etc.
· Walpole library used to print out a directory of the local programs and businesses (do they still do it?).
· Walpole Leadership is printing a business list. The Site Base Committee would like to have a youth/local listing section added to this as well. Jen and Lil will look into this.
Other Business: -----
· First budget meeting is 16th 5:30 pm at the high school
Next meeting February 5th 7:00